loader image

Thu, Apr 03 | 12:22 am

Why Xander Bogaerts Is Staying at Second Base Despite Padres’ Shortstop Vacancy

by | Aug 23, 2024

With Ha-Seong Kim sidelined by a right shoulder injury, the San Diego Padres find themselves with a temporary gap at shortstop. However, rather than moving four-time All-Star Xander Bogaerts back to his original position, the team has decided to keep him at second base, where he’s been thriving since his recent position change.

When Kim landed on the injured list, it seemed logical to shift Bogaerts back to shortstop, allowing Jake Cronenworth to move to second and making space for the in-form Donovan Solano in the lineup. But Padres manager Mike Shildt has opted to stick with Tyler Wade, Kim’s backup, as the starter at shortstop, potentially platooning him with Mason McCoy, who was recently promoted.

Shildt explained that the decision to keep Bogaerts at second base stems from a desire to maintain stability. “We have a guy that’s really comfortable and established in a role that he likes and has been very good at,” Shildt said. “I don’t think it’s fair to him or us, in a very short window, to bounce him back over to shortstop and move all our pieces around.”

This decision also hints at optimism regarding Kim’s recovery, as Shildt described the situation as a “very short window,” suggesting confidence that Kim’s absence won’t extend beyond his 10-day IL stint. Meanwhile, Bogaerts has found his groove at second base, hitting .345 with an .859 OPS since the All-Star break and delivering solid defense with four Outs Above Average, according to Statcast.

Bogaerts has adapted well to second base, a position he took on with little notice earlier in the season. He acknowledges that shifting positions on the fly can be challenging and prefers to stay put now that he’s comfortable. “It’s a little harder for me, playing one position, then moving to another one,” Bogaerts said. “This year, I start feeling really good there, and now it’s like, move over? But I do know I can play [shortstop].”

While Bogaerts could still be called upon to play shortstop in a pinch, the Padres are content with their current setup as they await Kim’s return.

0 Comments

text

 

 

 

 

 

 

text

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related Posts

McIlroy Joins Elite Company with $100M PGA Tour Earnings

McIlroy Joins Elite Company with $100M PGA Tour Earnings

Rory McIlroy has officially joined one of the most exclusive clubs in professional golf. The Northern Irishman became just the second player in PGA Tour history to earn over $100 million in career prize money, following in the footsteps of golf legend Tiger Woods....

A New Era for the Celtics: NBA Franchise Sold for $6 Billion

A New Era for the Celtics: NBA Franchise Sold for $6 Billion

In a landmark transaction that has sent shockwaves through the sports world, the Boston Celtics have been sold for an unprecedented $6 billion, setting a new record for the highest sale price of an NBA franchise. The deal marks a historic moment not only for the...